Since 2001, North Carolina has offered an official Certified Sites program to provide a statewide inventory of industrial sites that have undergone a rigorous prequalification process to ensure they are “shovel ready” for immediate development and meet a consistent set of standards. The International Logistics Park is a certified Shovel Ready Site.
A Certified Site reduces the risks associated with development by providing detailed information about a site, including price and availability, utilities, access, environmental concerns and potential development costs. Sites are periodically re-certified to ensure accurate, reliable data.
To obtain the Certified Sites designation, communities must undergo a stringent review process that demonstrates they’ve addressed 31 prerequisites, including:
- Business/industrial use designation
- Phase I environment audits
- Geo-technical studies
- Topographical analysis and maps
- Aerial photography
- Availability of public utilities
- Industrial power quality
- Engineered site development plans
- Detailed analysis of development cost
- Complete information on pricing